Saturday, February 24, 2007

Division IIIB consolation champ!!!

Being humble is very admirable, but sometimes you just have to brag for a bit....And what better place to do that than my blog!? OK, so I've been talking about it at work all week too and have my plaque hanging in my cube. But I haven't told any of you yet, so here it is....I won the consolation championship of the Modine racquetball tournament in the lowest skill level division last weekend! Racquetball is my new favorite sport....you can hit the ball as hard as you want and don't have to worry about it going out of bounds or having to run after it. Plus, it is really fun watching people swing and miss then having the ball bounce off the wall and hit them in the back. (Ok, so I've done it myself too more than once)

But back to bragging.....the women's Modine volleyball team that I am on won our division!!! Our coach told us we had to win 2/3 of our last games to win, and we did!! Although, it turns out she was intentionally lying to us to keep us motivated - we won by several games. Our last game was Thursday night and we celebrated at the bar before the games... and after the games :)

And now some rambling reflection.... It is very exciting now to win these local, low level competitions - but more exciting is that I've learned to have fun playing regardless of the outcome. As most of you know, sports defined my identity growing up, and reaching my goals meant everything to me. And here is a snapshot of my final moments in each of these sports:

*High school water polo - lost my last game 40-1 in the first round of the state tournament (I did score the 1 though....)(no, not a typo, that is *40*)
*High school soccer - after going undefeated the whole season, I was injured in the last game sophomore year and watched our team lose our last game from the sideline. (this was my last game because I played water polo instead jr and sr year)
*College soccer - We gave up 4 goals in the first 5 minutes of my last game and wound up losing 4-1 (again, at least I scored the 1)
*College swimming - My last serious competition - I don't have much to say about the meet, but I was so excited to finally be done swimming I had a little too much fun all night before getting on a plane to fly home......yeah, that was a rough flight
*High school swimming - My last high school swim meet was heart breaking. I can't do the story justice without typing a mini essay. It has been 10 years and I can still see everything like it happened yesterday. If you don't know the story, ask me about it some time.

So, what is my point? I enjoy winning, as everyone does, but God has shown me time and time again that neither winning or reaching my goals here will add any value to my life or make me happier. As I mentioned, I've been having a lot of fun playing, and I celebrate these recent victories with my teammates, but at the same time I know the true victory I have is eternal, and it is because Jesus humbled himself and took on our sins.

So....... I suppose I should try to be more humble ;)

1 comment:

Anna G said...

That's awesome that you have been having fun doing sports even without winning! That way you always have fun... well, almost. :)